top of page

Burn Permits


All of Bodega Volunteer Fire District Boundries are within the Northern Sonoma County Air Pollution Control District. Burn Season is normally open from November 1st through April 30th. Call the Hotline at 707-565-BURN (2876) to determine the daily burn status for the Coastal Zone before burning.


Contact NSCAPCD below for burn permit.

How to get a burn Permit.


Bodega Volunteeer Fire Department does not issue burn permits.


To recieve a burn permit contact the

Northern Sonoma County Air Pollution Controll District


Phone: (707) 433-5911
Fax: (707) 433-4823


Or visit their office at


150 Matheson Street
Healdsburg, CA 95448

Monday through Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm

Process of a Controlled Burn

1. Have a Valid Burn Permit.


2. Check to confirm it is a burn day at 707-565-BURN (2876)


3. Register Burn with Sonoma County Dispatch (REDCOM) at 707-565-1700.


4. Follow guidelines of permit, daily burn status and recommendations on this site.

Controlled Burn Guidelines


Burning of residential or backyard waste, garden trimmings, leaves, landscape ( tree branches, plants and grass) debris and cuttings is strictly prohibited and subject to enforcement and a fine.


Do not burn if the following conditions exist:

  • Winds in excess of 10 mph

  • Heat above 90 degrees

Burn only acceptable materials:

  • You may burn only the byproducts of your agricultural business, e.g., dry prunings, vines, etc. You may not burn stakes, trash, etc.

  • Materials must be dry and arranged to promote rapid combustion.

  • The burning of treated/painted wood, household garbage, plastic materials, shop waste, wood waste, demolition debris, oil filters, tires, tar paper is strictly prohibited.


General safety practices:


  • Fires must be under the control of an adult at all times until the fire is dead out.

  • Have shovels and other tools nearby.

  • Have at least 5 gallons of water at the burn site; a hose connected to a water supply is preferable.

  • Keep fires small and manageable.

  • Keep fire a minimum of 50 feet from combustibles, property lines, structures, overhead wires, vehicles, etc.


Failing to follow regulations and guidelines and/or an escaped controlled burn may result in your having to pay one or more of the following:


  • A fine

  • Cost of damage to anyone else’s property

  • Costs incurred by all agencies responding to the fire.


bottom of page